Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Review: Skinfood » Black Sugar Mask Wash Off


There is so much hype around the Skinfood Black Sugar Mask Wash Off that I had to give it a go! Plus, being a fan of all things sweet, I definitely had to try a mask that lists caramel as one of it's ingredients! Needless to say, my curiosity finally got the best of me.

FLASH FACTS
Brand » Skinfood
Product » Black Sugar Mask Wash Off
Size » 100g
Cost » $17 USD in store
Website » eng.theskinfood.com
Would I repurchase? » Probably


The Black Sugar Mask comes in a simple container that many of Skinfood's masks come in. The cap screws off to reveal a second lid that helps to keep bacteria out of the product. The concoction inside is so thick that if you turn the container upside down it won't even move! It isn't hard or sticky, but you'll have a lot of trouble getting this out of the container without a scooper as it is slightly dry and quite dense.

Keep in mind you have to apply this to a dampened face to get it to spread, otherwise you could very well end up damaging your skin. Once applied, I looked like a had a really horrible tan because of how brown it is! Ha, after about 10-15 minutes the mask should be washed off with lukewarm water. Before I wash it off, I wet my hands and gently scrub my face with the sugar granules as a mild exfoliant. The key here is to be gentle!

I have heard numerous rumors about the smell of this mask, but to me it smells exactly like lemongrass. Not quite the scent you would imagine for a Brazilian sugar mask, but I personally like the smell. Now that that's out of the way, let's take a look at the first 5 listed ingredients and what they actually do for your skin:

» Sucrose Cocoate: A mild cleansing agent with conditioning and moisturizing properties.
» Glycerin: Attracts and holds moisture.
» Candelilla Wax: Anti-inflammatory agent.
» Macadamia Seed Oil: Promotes radiant skin.
» Lanolin: Skin protectant.

Full Ingredient List: Sucrose, Peg-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Glycerin, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Lanolin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Sorbitan Laurate, Butylparaben, BHT, Caramel, Parfum




Skinfood claims that the Black Sugar Mask promotes smooth, glowing skin. While I would agree that my skin feels smooth after each use, I would not ever say it is glowing. This mask is not very moisturizing and it does not feel cool or hot when applied. Also, I personally prefer a peeling cream for exfoliation as they are much more gentle and (I think) more effective.

However, I'm not sure if it's entirely due to this mask, but my skin seems to be less oily during the day after applying! This is also great for blackheads and it has seemed to help with diminishing my pores. My skin feels healthier and firmer after each use as well, so for that I would think about buying this again. I think this could be used every day, but ONLY if you are extremely gentle and cautious. Overall, I don't see exactly what all the hype is about, but I do like the way my skin feels after using the Black Sugar Mask Wash Off :)

xo,


8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the review! I've always wanted to try this and thanks to you I'll be moving this down my list a tad so I can get something more exciting first!! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was expecting it to be AMAZING *__*...but *sigh* yeah moving it down the list might be a good idea haha it's good, but it definitely didn't rock my world!

      Delete
  2. Ooooh thanks for the review! This was on my list to buy, but maybe I'll try it in a sample size first ;)
    Following you! (I found you through the Asian Beauty Forum!:D)
    ♥♥♥ from
    Little Porcelain Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely would get a hold of a sample first if you can, that's a good idea! I actually tried leaving it on longer (for about 30 mins) and it made my skin feel much softer! P. S. I love the name of your blog! Following back! o(^▽^)o

      Delete
  3. Hi,


    I just purchased (lucky me, only sample) first of this product. Do you think it's applicable for T-Zone face like mine?
    I'm gonna try it tonight, and try leaving it on longer as well like you said.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! ^^ My face gets really oily in my t-zone area and it didn't bother my face at all! It even helped to keep my skin slightly less oily sometimes, which I didn't expect! I hope you liked the sample!

      Delete
  4. really nice preview (((o(*゚▽゚*)o))) I bought this yesterday (it is still on the way - shipping), but I can't wait to try this!!(≧▽≦)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yayy! Hopefully this works well for you! I hate waiting for shipping it always feels like it takes forever for the package to arrive at your door lol <3

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment and I'll respond back in the same post. Let me know if you follow me and I'll follow back! xo
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆